Giving Advice : English Language

Beth :
I really don’t know what to wear for Sue’s party tomorrow. What do you think?
Ruth : Why don’t you wear that pretty pink dress you wore at Alan’s wedding?
Beth : Oh…isn’t that too formal?
Ann : If I were you I’d go and buy something new. It’s always nice wearing new clothes!
Beth : Well…I suppose I could. But I don’t have that much time or money.
Jane : How about calling Sue and checking what she’s wearing?
Beth : Yes, that’s a good idea. I think I’ll do that. I don’t want to be dressed up to the nines if nobody else is!.

Phrases in focus
There are three key phrases in the dialogue, each introducing a piece of advice. Can you find them? Here they are again, all responding in the same way to the same problem. Notice how the structure is different in each case:

มีสำนวนหลักๆอยู่ 3 สำนวน ในไดอะลอกค์นี้ แต่ละสำนวนจะให้คำแนะนำเล็กๆน้อยๆเอาไว้ คุณพอที่จะเห็นแล้วยัง? แล้วข้างล่างนี้ก็เป็นอีกตัวอย่างหนึ่ง เป็นการตอบในแบบเดียวกันในปัญหาที่เหมือนกัน โปรดสังเกตว่าโครงสร้างมีความแตกต่างกันอย่างไรในแต่ละหัวข้อ.

Problem Advice Basic Grammatical Form
I’ve got a badheadache Why don’t you take an aspirin? Why don’t you + infinitive + ?
If I were you I ‘d take an aspirin. If I were you + I + conditional
How about taking an aspirin? How about + gerund + ?

Over to You!
Give advice for the following situations, using the opening hints.

โปรดให้คำแนะนำกับสถานการณ์ต่อไปนี้ โดยใช้คำใบ้ที่ให้มา


Problem :
I can’t get to sleep.
Advice : Why don’t you drink………

Problem : I don’t know what to buy my mother for her birthday.
Advice : How about buying her…..

Problem : My purse has been stolen!
Advice : If I were you I’d…….

Problem : I need a holiday.
Advice : How………

Problem : My tooth’s aching.
Advice : Why…….

Problem : I can’t find my shoes.
Problem : If………

Idioms in Use
Beth says that she does not want to be the only person at the party “dressed up to the nines”. Can you guess the meaning of this idiom? It means wearing one’s best clothes. Another way of referring to your best clothes is “glad rags” or “best bib and tucker”. A mature woman who is dressed up like a young girl is referred to as “mutton dressed as lamb”: “mutton” is the rather tough meat of a fully-grown sheep while “lamb” is the tender meat of a young sheep. One final idiom about clothes: “a wolf in sheep’s clothing” means someone who cannot be trusted pretending to be innocent.

Beth พูดว่า ในงานปาร์ตี้นี้เธอไม่อยากเป็นคนเดียวที่แต่ง “dressed up to the nine” คุณพอที่จะเดาความหมายของคำพังเพยนี้ได้มั้ย? มันหมายความว่าใส่ชุดที่ดีทีสุด ยังมีคำกล่าวอื่นที่หมายถึงชุดที่ดีที่สุดของคุณ ได้อีก คือ ”glad rags”หรือ “best bib and tucker” ส่วนผู้หญิงที่เป็นผู้ใหญ่แล้วถ้ายังแต่งตัวเหมือนกับสาวรุ่น ก็อาจถูกเปรียบเป็น “mutton dressed as lamb” “mutton” เป็นเนื้อแกะที่โตเต็มที่ซึ่งเนื้อค่อนข้างที่จะเหนียว ขณะที่ ”lamp” เป็นเนื้อแกะที่ยังอ่อน อายุยังน้อยๆ เนื้อก็จะอ่อนนุ่ม. คำสแลงสุดท้ายเกี่ยวกับเสื้อผ้าได้แก่ “a wolf in sheep’s clothing” ซึ่งหมายถึงหมาป่าในคราบของลูกแกะ หรือ อาจเทียบได้กับคำพังเพยไทย ที่ว่า หน้าเนื้อใจเสือ

Contact

Talk to us

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Dolores iusto fugit esse soluta quae debitis quibusdam harum voluptatem, maxime, aliquam sequi. Tempora ipsum magni unde velit corporis fuga, necessitatibus blanditiis.

Address:

9983 City name, Street name, 232 Apartment C

Work Time:

Monday - Friday from 9am to 5pm

Phone:

595 12 34 567